Promotes and restores patients’ health by completing the nursing process;
collaborating with physicians and multidisciplinary team members; providing
physical and psychological support to patients, friends, and families;
supervising assigned team members.
* Identifies patient care requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients and other persons in a position to understand care requirements.
* Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families.
* Promotes patient’s independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions.
* Assures quality of care by adhering to therapeutic standards; measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards; making or recommending necessary adjustments; following hospital and nursing division’s philosophies and standards of care set by state board of nursing, state nurse practice act, and other governing agency regulations.
* Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
* Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
* Maintains continuity among nursing teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.