Our Certified Medication Technician is responsible for all aspects of
medication administration within the scope of his/her certification and under
the supervision and direction of a Registered Nurse.
This position requires extensive direct interaction with the resident and
requires a kind and gentle individual who derives personal satisfaction from
caring for others. They must also possess patience and understanding to care
for residents with dementia. Because they work directly with the residents, it
is also important that they display a positive attitude and have an outgoing
personality, and of course must maintain a professional appearance.
This Person must also be a person who is willing to take initiative and react
to potential crises that will occur in a home for dementia sufferers. They
must take pride in their work and be a good communicator. Above all they must
* Preparing and administering prescribed medications to residents under the supervision of a licensed RN, and in compliance with all Facility policies and procedures and regulations governing the administration and documentation of medication.
* Adhering to all Facility policies and procedures and Department of Aging and disability Services rules and regulation regarding the administration and documentation of narcotic medications.
* Performing medication administration responsibilities while adhering to all safety principles.
* Documenting administration of medication on the Medication Administration Record (MAR), or computer program based Medication Administration Record (eMAR).
* Documenting medications not administered on the MAR, and the reason for not being administered.
* Adhering to proper infection control techniques during the medication administration process, including the incorporation of universal precautions when indicated.
* Recognizing and adhering to the six (6) rights of medication administration.
* Participating in data collection, medication audits, and other performance improvement activities related to medication administration.
* Reporting any adverse patient medication reactions immediately to a supervisor.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
High School graduate or equivalent
Graduate of an accredited Certified Medication Technician Course
One (1) year related experience in a medical environment preferred
Working knowledge of electronic medication systems a plus but not required
Must be certified as a Medication Technician in the state of Texas
* Pass a criminal background check
* Statement of history of no abuse or neglect
* Reliable transportation
* Documentation of immunizations
* Must be at least 18 years of age or a high school graduate
* MUST BE A TEAM PLAYER