RN – Inpatient Psych
At Children’s Health, we value the role each team member plays in helping us
deliver on our mission of making life better for children. We take pride in
providing a rich and rewarding career opportunities that enable team members
to reach their highest potential.
Since 2009, we have held the ANCC Magnet® designation for nursing excellence.
We are nationally ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World
Report, serve as the primary pediatric teaching facility for University of
Texas Southwestern Medical Center and are recognized for quality care in every
For nine consecutive years, Children’s Health has been recognized as one of
the 150 top places to work in health care by Becker’s Hospital Review. This
esteemed list features healthcare systems which offer professional
development, growth, excellent benefits and promotion of diversity above and
beyond other organizations.
About the Job
Performs the functions of a registered nurse in direct and indirect patient
care on the inpatient psychiatry unit. Utilizes the nursing process in the
delivery of developmentally appropriate care. Documentation of findings,
referrals to other services based on assessment findings, and appointments for
reassessment are planned and completed at the time of the visit. Works
effectively with members of the health care team in the provision of care to
patients and families.
Work Schedule: This is a PRN position. Two shifts per pay period are
required. Orientation will be five weeks. A combination of weekdays, weekends,
days and nights are possible with PRN positions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Reviews abnormal patient screening and data collection results
* Conduct focused patient assessments based on the reason for the visit
* Conducts focused patient assessments based on any concerns about the patient’s general condition at the time of check in.
* Complete thorough physical assessment if patient presents with unstable clinical findings on patients requiring nursing assessment
* Educate patient on new diagnosis and/or treatment plan
* Educate patient on mediation use
* Provide pre procedure instructions
* Document patient/family learning assessment and understanding of education provided
* Utilize licensed independent practitioners, educators and other resources
* Comply with state, federal and other regulations
* Participate in ongoing unit, department and organizational performance improvement
* Maintain patient safety
The organization is moving towards a BSN workforce. Interested candidates
should have a BSN or be in the process of obtaining BSN as this will be
required of all direct patient care nurses effective 1/1/2021.
Licenses & certifications
Required: State of Texas Registered Nurse License
Required: Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (AHA)
Required: Two years psych nursing experience
Children’s Health offers opportunities for learning and career development;
competitive pay; and a comprehensive benefits program. We promote a diverse
and inclusive workplace. Our team members have a voice in their work through
surveys, pulses and town halls. And we honor and celebrate our staff with
year-round employee appreciation events.
We invite you to learn more about Children’s Health.
Nursing – Psychiatry