The Director of Admissions is responsible for the planning, organization,
direction, supervision and evaluation of all Admissions services provided at
Craig Hospital. This position partners with leaders of the hospital to develop
and align Admissions strategies to address business needs that maximize the
effectiveness of Craig Hospital programs. This position is also responsible
for building and maintaining acceptable Hospital inpatient census levels by
managing the facilities inquiry and admission process and provide customers
with facility-related information via facility tours, personal
visits/assessments, conversations and follow-up. This position will assess and
anticipate department related needs and effectively partner to develop
integrated solutions and strategies to compliment the goals of the hospital.
* Licensure/Certification/Registrations: Certifications as required by licensure in appropriate clinical field.
* Education: Bachelor’s degree in clinically-related field required. Masters degree preferred.
* Experience: Minimum of 5 – 7 admissions experience in a health care setting. 3 – 5 year Leadership/Supervisory experience preferred. Experience in Neurorehabilitation strongly preferred.
* Skills & Abilities: Excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Skilled in working on interdisciplinary teams. Gather, analyze and synthesize information and data from multiple sources. Skilled in working professionally with individuals inside and outside of Craig Hospital. Ability to successfully handle multiple priorities and prioritize and schedule accordingly. Must be able to successfully and effectively communicate with a variety of personnel. Advanced supervisory, team-building, conflict resolution, and communication skills, both verbal and written required. Work collaboratively with other departments and physicians. Ability to develop institutional educational and research policies and programs, quality improvement programs, and operational policies and procedures. Ability to use professional judgment to identify areas for improvement and participate in development of quality initiatives. Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the position. Proven analytical, problem-solving, and trouble-shooting skills. Ability to make formal presentation in front of large groups. Creative and able to be an “out of the box” thinker. Gather, analyze and synthesize information and data from multiple sources. Working knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and the health insurance industry, to include benefit verification. Strong computer skills including ** Microsoft Office.
* Provide direction and supervision of department personnel, demonstrate professional judgment, use problem solving techniques and delegate appropriately. Provide direction for new program development and equipment.
* Provide leadership in the development of performance standards for all departmental personnel. Evaluate and counsel all employees on their performance in a professional and timely manner. Plan and develop educational in-services for the department as appropriate.
* Responsible for the implementation and coordination of procedures based on the policies and procedures of the department. Review and analyze reports, records, and directives and confer with coworkers to obtain data required for planning department activities.
* Prepare annual budget and monitor concurrently. Monitor and analyze costs associated with supplies, staffing, etc.
* Manage the admission process by maintaining updated bed availability and facility services information at all times. Manage the inquiry process professionally, timely and with appropriate follow-up. Effectively manage occupancy levels and census/premium mix enhancement.
* Conduct admission screenings of potential patients, determining level of care, services required, insurance coverage and payer source.
* Provide and organize individual and group staff educational opportunities, maintaining department’s competency level. Develop and manage proficiency of annual staff competency expectations.
* Monitor all departmental equipment. Direct and plan new equipment acquisition, monitor repairs and maintenance and equipment certification.
* Negotiate service contracts with staffing agencies, schools, etc.
* Provide staff education/precepts new staff hires, new staff, interns and students.
* Provide a staffing matrix that effectively provides adequate coverage M-F during normal business hours. Collaborate with the team to assess and allocate staff resources on a daily basis, based on patient census, acuity and patient need. Analyze employee workload and adjusts as necessary
* Develop and maintain a database of existing and potential referral sources. Make contact with medical, insurance, legal, and financial professionals, appropriate special interest groups, hospital discharge planners and other community contacts as appropriate.
* Alert appropriate department Directors and Physicians of patient fluctuations; i .e.. admissions, bed changes, and discharges, by chairing admission meetings to discuss forthcoming changes and presents all pending admissions. Utilize bed management principles. Maintain a close working relationship with physicians, the Associate Chief Nursing Officer, Director of CCM and the CFO to assure appropriate and efficient decisions about prospective admissions.
* Ensure appropriate admission papers and signatures are obtained from patients or responsible parties prior to admission. Communicate special needs of new admits to staff to ensure a smooth transition.
* Maintain a working knowledge of Federal and State regulations and reimbursement (Managed Care. Medicare, and Medicaid). Maintain a strong working knowledge of managed care referral process.
* Maintain a database of medical contracts/community resources along with knowledge of industry trends and legislative/regulatory issues and communicate this information to facility staff and community contacts.
* Establish communications and provide education for family members to familiarize them with Craig’s programs, its reputation and benefits of its programs, facilities, website, literature, etc. in order to develop a rapport for the continued consideration of the admission of their family member. Assist in the development of facility materials like brochures, press releases and other advertisements.
* Coordinate with Clinical Nurse Liaison staff to conduct pre-admission on-site assessments on referral patients as needed to determine appropriateness for admission to Craig, their medical status for participating in Craig’s rehabilitation programs and ensuring assessment reports are timely and complete.
* In collaboration with the hospital’s VP of Finance, contractually negotiate the use of medical days, conversion of SNF days to rehab days. etc. in order to optimize patient’s benefits and provide enhanced financial outcomes for hospital’s delivered care. Negotiate treatment plans and prov ide estimated charges with insurance sponsors and/or case managers as needed.
* Provide tours, presentations, etc. to help educate insurance industry and act as liaison to insure that communications are effective between clinical staff and insurance representatives, UR personnel, families, etc.