ABOUT MONTEREY COUNTY SURGICAL ASSOCIATES:
For over 75 years, MCSA has provided superior surgical care to patients in
Monterey County. The eight surgeon practice specializes in general, bariatric,
vascular, head and neck surgery, The surgeons operate out of Community
Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula and Monterey Surgery Center.
Under the direct supervision of the Practice Manager, the Medical Receptionist
is responsible for greeting and checking in patients. They are also
responsible for collecting copayments and scheduling follow up appointments.
The Medical Receptionist is also responsible for answering a multi-line phone
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Answer phones promptly and courteously, using approved telephone techniques and etiquette. Determine nature of call and direct caller to appropriate department and/or take message using correct grammar by typing into the patient’s electronic medical record (EMR) and route to the physician or nurse.
* Register patients by obtaining patient demographics and other information, schedule appointments by following physician preferences using the EMR. Explain insurance contracts and payment policies to patients.
* Greet and check-in patients, using the physician EMR. Obtain patient demographic and insurance information, and enter into the physician practice EMR. Verify demographic information for all patients. Assist medical and clinic staff with triaging patients and expedite rooming patients in exam rooms and treatment areas.
* Collect patient co-pays, deductibles and payments for services, strictly following the practice’s payment policies.
* Filing/Scanning. Perform clerical duties (e.g., photocopying, scanning, typing, forms, mailing, faxing, etc.)
* Call patients regarding follow up office visits and scheduled appointments.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
* High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
* Prior experience in a similar role is preferred. Priod experience working as a receptionist or in an administrative role is highly desirable.
* Must be able to communicate effectively in English, verbally and written. Additional languages desirable.
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related applications and software.
* Excellent customer service and phone etiquette skills.
* Must be able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and work well under productivity standards.
* Able to prioritize and balance workload on short and long-term company needs.
* Must be able to work independently and be able to solve problems efficiently and accurately.
* Able to create channels of communication to obtain information necessary to perform job tasks.
* Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize a high-volume workload.
* Helpful attitude, positive teamwork spirit with a willingness to help.