A licensed professional nurse directly under the supervision of the Assistant
Director of Nursing Services. The Charge Nurse is responsible for staff
assignment and provides overall supervision of resident care activities.
* Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or an approved LVN program.
* Current nursing licensure in the state in which practicing.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Possess, as a minimum, training in a skilled nursing care facility, hospital, or other related medical facility.
* Possess leadership ability and the willingness to work with and supervise professional and non-
* Knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures.
* Ability to Read, write and speak the English language.
* Possess mental and physical health.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: CLINICAL
* Complete all required record keeping forms/charts upon the resident’s admission, discharge, transfer, etc. File in the resident’s chart and/or forward to the appropriate department.
* Receive verbal orders from attending/alternate physician and transcribe the physician’s order sheet.
* Initiate resident Plans of Care on admission.
* Chart TPRs, blood pressures and blood glucose as required.
* Order prescribed medications, supplies and equipment as established by the facility’s policies and
* Review physician’s orders and transfer/preadmission information for completeness.
* Prepare/administer medications as ordered by the physician.
* Answer telephone inquiries as outlined in the facility’s established policies and procedures.
* Chart licensed nurses’ notes in an informative and d3scriptive manner that reflects the care provided as
well as the resident’s response to the care.
* Forward new diet orders, and/or diet changes to the dietary department.
* Transcribe physician’s orders to resident’s charts, Medication Administration Records, Treatment
Administration Records and RNA sheets to assure that they remain current.
* Verify the identification of the resident before administering medication or treatment.
* Requisition and arrange for diagnostic and therapeutic services as ordered by the physician.
* Assure that narcotic records are current at all times
* Admit, transfer and discharge resident. Assist in arranging transportation and packing as necessary.
* Check resident charts for specific treatment, medication orders and schedules daily.
CHARGE NURSE – Cont’d.
Job Descriptions Manual
Job Descriptions Manual
* Administer professional services such as: catheterization, tube feeding, suction, applying and changing dressings/bandages, packs, colostomy and drainage bags, taking blood, sputum, and urine specimens, care of the dead/dying, etc., as established by the facility’s policies and procedures.
* Make rounds with the physician and assist with examination and treatment.
* Review medication sheet for completeness of information, accuracy in the transcription of physician
orders and adherence to stop order policies.
* Assist in carrying out restorative and rehabilitative programs to include self-help/care.
* Perform routine charting as required.
* Report all discrepancies of physician order, diet or charting to the RN Supervisor or Assistant Director
* Check food in resident’s rooms that is brought in by the resident’s family or visitors in accordance with
the facility’s established policies and procedures.
* Initiate restraint assessment on all new admissions.
* Monitor and document behavior of residents on psychoactive medications
* Record Intake and Output, and complete monthly evaluation as per the facility’s policy and procedure.
* Following completion of an approved competency check with an RN an LVN may reinsert a G-Tube on
an established track only.
* Meet with unit personnel, on a regular basis, to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and/or the improvement of services.
* Review and evaluate assigned personnel and make written evaluations to the RN Supervisor or Assistant Director of Nurses.
* Coordinate Nursing service with other departments and nursing units.
* Notify the attending physician, RN Supervisor and Director of Nurses when a resident is discharged
without approval. Assure that appropriate documentation is made in accordance
with the facility’s
established policies and procedures.
* Assure that a stock of medications, medical supplies, equipment, etc., is maintained at all times.
Requisition equipment and supply needs as required.
* Initiate investigation of accidents and unusual occurrences and make the necessary written report to the
Director of Nurses as established in the facility’s policies and procedures.
* Notify the resident’s attending/alternate physician, as well as the resident’s legal guardian/representative,
when the resident has a significant change of condition or becomes critically
ill or injured, as outlined
within facility’s established policies.
* Work with the facility’s consultants as necessary and implement recommended changes as directed by the
RN Supervisor of the Director of Nurses.
* Investigate complaints and grievances and make necessary oral/written reports to the RN Supervisor or
Director of Nurses.
* In cases of death, notify the funeral home and ensure that the body is properly prepared/cleaned for
* Evaluate emergencies and determine emergency measures to be used, including the use of chemical or
mechanical restraints. Notify the RN Supervisor and physician and record and
* Assure that the unit area is maintained in a clean and safe manner for resident comfort and convenience,
by ensuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained to perform
* Assist in standardizing the methods in which work will be accomplished.
Job Descriptions Manual
* Make residents’ rounds to review physical, medical an emotional status and to implement required nursing interventions.
* Notify physician and resident’s responsible party of any resident accidents/incidents. Fill out and complete Accident/Incident Report forms on all such occurrences and chart such information in the resident’s medical records as outlined in the facility’s established policies and procedures
* Assure that nursing personnel follow established nursing procedures.
* Remind attending physician(s) to review treatment plans, record and sign physician’s orders, progress
notes, etc., during physician visits.
* Give/receive nursing reports upon reporting in and ending shift duty hours.
* Check all residents daily to assure that prescribed treatment is being properly administered by nursing
personnel/assistants and to evaluate their physical and emotional status.
Record findings in the
* Assist in orientation of newly assigned personnel as well as supervise and instruct other nursing
* Orient new residents/family members as necessary.
* Assure that nursing personnel are providing adequate nursing car in accordance with established nursing
* Assure that all personnel follow established infection control and aseptic techniques when isolation
procedures become necessary.
* Report all hazardous conditions and equipment to the RN Supervisor and maintenance department
* Keep the RN Supervisor informed about the status of residents, staff and related matters.
* Assume the authority, responsibility and accountability of directing your unit/shift.
* Follow required coaching and progressive disciplinary procedures.
* Others as may become necessary and appropriate or as may be directed by the Director of Nurses or
* Presents professional image to consumers through dress, behavior and speech.
* Adheres to Company standards for resolving consumer concerns.
* Ensures that all consumer/resident rights are protected.