This position is accountable for the direct care to the patient pre-
operatively. Participates in performance improvement activities.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the
position without compromising patient care.
Minimum Education and Work Experience
* Completion of an accredited registered nursing program.
* Perianesthesia Nurse certification (CPAN) preferred
* Two years of acute care experience preferred.
* Ability to maintain collaborative working relationships to ensure a positive and productive work environment.
* Ability to plan and prioritize work with frequent interruptions.
* Ability to provide exceptional customer service.
* Effective verbal and written communication skills.
* Knowledge and proficiency of hospital information technology applications.
* Knowledge of anesthetic agents, drugs and medications, the nursing care required, and treatment of possible side effects.
* ACLS and BLS Certificate required.
* Current California Registered Nursing License.
* Time & Attendance (see FSH Time & Attendance Policy)
* Professional Appearance (see FSH Dress Policy)
* Staff meetings (90%)
* Annual Requirements
* Mock Code Blue (min. 2 per year if applicable)
* PPD/TB Screen
* Annual Competencies
* Flu Vaccine
* Compliance Training
* Assures the needs of patients and families are recognized and addressed through coordination with other team members within the health care system and community.
* Coordinates nursing care requirements with the OR and anesthesia departments to ensure the continuity of patient care.
* Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients served.
* Able to interpret data about the patients status in order to identify each patients age specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
* Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
* Keeps current with developments related to Pre-op nursing care; maintains and upgrades knowledge and skills.
* Maintains accurate and continued nursing documentation including patient histories, conditions, treatments, responses and assessment of changes.
* Maintains an awareness of OR schedule in order to ensure patient flow.
* Maintains current knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and his/her clinical condition.
* Prepares patient physically, mentally and emotionally for surgical procedure.
* Prepares, hangs, monitors and discontinues IV fluids.
* Reports changes in patient arrival time to surgeon.
* Functions as liaison between administration, patients, physicians and other healthcare providers.
* Other duties as assigned
* Color Vision – (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
* Depth Perception – (three-dimensional vision; ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
* Lift up to 10 pounds – 2/3 and more of time
* Lift up to 25 pounds – 2/3 and more of time
* Lift up to 50 pounds – up to 1/3 of time
* Lift more than 100 pounds – up to 1/3 of time with assistance
* Push/Pull – 1/3 to 1/2 of time
* Reach with hands and arms – 1/3 to 1/2 of time
* Sit – up to 1/3 of time
* Stand – 2/3 and more of time
* Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl – up to 1/3 of time
* Talk or hear – 2/3 and more of time
* Use hands to finger, handle or feel – 1/3 to 1/2 of time
* Walk – 2/3 and more of time
* Body fluid exposure – Yes
* Fine Dexterity – Both (5-6 hours)
* Grasping: simple/light – Both (5-6 hours)
* Grasping: firm/heavy – Both (1-2 hours)
* Hearing – Ability to hear alarms on equipment
* Hearing – Ability to hear instructions from physician/department staff
* Hearing – Ability to hear patient call
* Repetitive use of foot control – Both (1-2 hours)
* Repetitive use of hands – Both (5-6 hours)
* Risk of electrical shock – up to 1/3 of time
* Typical noise level – Moderate Noise