The mission of ILTexas is to prepare students for exceptional leadership roles
in the international community by emphasizing servant leadership, mastering
the English, Spanish, and Chinese languages, and strengthening the mind, body
Job Title: School Nurse (RN)* Exemption Status/Test:
Reports to: Principal Date Revised: 07/2019
Dept./School: Assigned Campus
Implement district health services program to best meets the needs of the
student population on the assigned campus. Provide health services to
students. Promote health and safety education for students and preventive
health practices for students.
Graduate of an accredited professional nursing education program
Registered nurse license (RN) verified from the Texas Board of Nursing
Licensed vocational nurse (LVN) verified from the Texas Board of Nursing
Current automatic external defibrillator (AED) and cardio pulmonary
resuscitation (CPR) certificates
Vision, Hearing, Spinal and Acanthosis Nigricans Certification, preferred
AHA, BLS, Instructor certification preferred
Knowledge of health appraisal to identify student health defects
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Knowledge of basic first aid
Proficient keyboarding and file maintenance skills
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Three years of nursing experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Provide direct care using professional assessment skills, the nursing
process, individualized healthcare plans (IHPs), and established school health
protocols. Provide health counseling and instruction to individual students.
2. Assess student problems, communicate with parents regarding individual
students, and ensure appropriate referrals and follow up as needed. Serve as a
liaison between school personnel, the family, healthcare professionals, and
3. Notify parents of accident or illness. Secure emergency medical care for
students as needed.
4. Develop and implement individualized healthcare plans (IHPs) and evaluate
outcomes of skilled and direct nursing care and procedures for medically
fragile students to ensure safe integration of the student into the school
5. Serve as health advocate for students.
6. Ensure that medications are administered to students according to district
policy and procedures.
7. Establish and implement effective procedures for carrying out mandatory
8. May make home visits to help with student health problems as necessary.
9. Participate in development of campus health education curriculum, educate
faculty and staff as needed on health related topics, and provide health
education to individuals and groups including contributing to campus
communications to parents and the local community regarding health issues.
10. Collaborate closely with campus principal and other staff and provide
leadership to ensure a healthy school environment. Work to meet the health
needs of the general school population and those students with identified
11. Participate in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee (ARD) meetings
of students with identified health needs and develop Individual Health Plans
(IHPs). Work with district personnel regarding implementation of IEP goals and
12. Advise campus administration in crisis or emergency situations and
participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
13. Work with health services coordinator to develop and coordinate
continuing evaluation of campus health program and make changes based on
findings. Develop and recommend campus policies and procedures to promote the
health and wellness of students and staff.
14. Supervise, train, and participate in evaluating LVNs, unlicensed diabetes
care assistants, other unlicensed assistive personnel, or other school
personnel who have responsibility for assisting students with health needs.
15. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents
required, including clinic records and accurate and confidential student
health records such as immunization records, medication administration
records, individual student treatment records, and IHPs.
16. Requisition supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic inventory.
17. Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas
Department of Health rule, State
Board of Education rule, and board policy. Comply with all district and campus
routines and regulations.
18. Report potential health and safety hazards to principal.
19. Maintain professional nursing skills and knowledge as required by the
Texas Nurse Practice Act and the
Texas Board of Nursing including certification for mandated screenings and
Basic Life Support for
Healthcare providers (CPR/AED).
Direct the work of licensed vocational nurse (LVN) and assigned health clinic
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard medical clinic equipment including
automated external defibrillator
(AED); special needs adaptive equipment; standard office equipment including
computer and peripherals
Posture: Frequent standing, sitting, kneeling/squatting,
bending/stooping, pushing pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension
Lifting: Frequent light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); may
require regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and position of students
with physical disabilities; controlling behavior through physical restraint,
assisting non-ambulatory students
Environment: Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and communicable
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional
control under stress
* Adapted from Recommended School Health Staff Roles published by the Texas Department of Health School
Health Advisory Committee, January 14, 2013.
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to
this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that
may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Reviewed by Date
Received by Date
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $46,000.00 – $54,500.00 per year
* Nursing: 3 years (Required)
* LVN (Required)
* RN (Preferred)
* One location
* Health insurance
* Dental insurance
* Vision insurance
* Retirement plan
* Monday to Friday