Job Title: Substitute Nurse Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Department/School: Campus Assigned Pay Grade: Based on
Reports to: Director of Health Services/Principal HR Date Approved:
Provides health services to students and performs nursing duties of the
regular campus nurse as assigned.
BASIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may
include the characteristic duties and responsibilities noted herein, however,
this list represents examples only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all
functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
* Model core organizational beliefs and values; communicate openly and effectively.
* Provide temporary and emergency care utilizing professional assessment skills, the nursing process, and established school health protocols; notify parents of accident or illness and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
* Administer medications to students at school; administer medications according to district policy and procedures.
* Provides emergency nursing services for all school staff.
* Performs nursing services as needed for individual students such as administering medications, catheterizations, tracheostomy care, diabetic care, etc., when ordered by their physicians.
* Participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
* Communicate regularly with Principal, Director of Health Services, staff, and parents regarding health services issues; report potential health and safety hazards to principal.
* Review and evaluate student immunization records.
* Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic records and accurate, updated health records on all students.
* Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Nurse Practice Act, Texas Department of Health rules, State Board of Education rules, and board policy; comply with all district and campus routines and regulations and verbal and written directives.
* Utilize effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
* Establish and maintain professional communication with parents, students, and district personnel; ensure that all interactions are supportive, courteous, and respectful.
* Comply with the Employee Standards of Conduct.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Knowledge of health appraisal to identify student health defects
* Ability to provide direct care utilizing professional assessment skills, the nursing process and established school health protocols
* Ability to implement individual health plans for medically fragile students
* Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
* Ability to implement policies and procedures
* Graduate of an accredited professional nursing education program
* Valid registered nurse license from the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners
* Certified by Texas Department of Health to conduct vision and hearing screening(optional)
* CPR/AED Certification
* Two (2) years successful nursing experience
* Community health experience (preferred)
* Maintain emotional control under stress
* Exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases.
* Moderate lifting and carrying required in working with special education students
* Occasional district-wide travel
*INTENT AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:*
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of
work difficulty required of positions given this title and shall not be
construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any
particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or any way modify
the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of
employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or
illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not
mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.