This position is responsible for the design, development and maintenance of
the Epic training environment, training materials and methods for clinical and
non-clinical end users under the direction of a Training Manager. Training is
typically conducted in the classroom as well as in the practice. The Principal
Trainer typically support an assigned application(s) and is responsible for
achieving an in-depth understanding of the software, policies and procedures,
and workflows for each application.
Incumbents must have the ability to understand and translate the functionality
of Epic system configuration and workflow validations into a training
environment development, easy to understand classroom presentations, and
prepare and manage requirements for training sessions in collaboration with
the project team. Responsible for quality control, including administering a
proficiency assessment and class evaluation at the end of each session, and
forwarding ideas to improve the effectiveness of the training to the Training
As members of enterprise and/or local system project teams, Principal Trainers
typically collaborate at all levels of the organization to deliver customized
curriculum and coaching to employees. They lead discussions regarding
building, testing, and maintaining the training environment, as well as the
development and maintenance of training materials for the training program. In
addition to training end-users within the facility, they will also train
additional trainers within the organization, maintain policy/procedure
documentation, provide training for new hires, and coordinate training for new
software releases and updates.
* Provide supervision and direction for IT and user department staff participating in Epic system implementations.
* Develops and implements credentialed training programs and materials to support users of Epic applications and clinical information systems. Develop and maintain the master training environment for primary application suites supported.
* Responsible for keeping current with system changes and enhancements to ensure a thorough knowledge of the clinical information systems as they relate to both physicians and clinical staff.
* Translate the functionality of Epic system configuration and workflow validations into training environment development and curriculum. Assist with workflow management, class scheduling and stakeholder communication across project teams.
* In partnership with application managers, develop detailed materials, including workflow diagrams, as needed.
* Identifies and implements opportunities for process improvement in support of Epic training initiatives.
* Assess feedback from training programs and continually modify the curriculum to better meet the needs of the learners. Report on the effectiveness of the training solutions.
* Actively participates in customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
* Uses standardized operational and meaningful use reports to assure that their training is accomplishing the necessary objectives
* Escalates encountered situations to the responsible area with detailed and accurate information thereby contributing to the efficient operation of the Epic Project and consistent with the philosophy and goals of the organization.
Skills and Knowledge
* Knowledge and experience with health care information systems. Preferred knowledge and skills:
* Healthcare Operations
* Optime, Anesthesia and Orders module certification highly preferred
* Knowledge of Adobe Captivate strongly preferred
* Information Technology
* Clinical Operations
* Medical Information
* Must be able to train physicians and physician staff on Epic Systems applications.
* Must be able to troubleshoot basic PC issues.
* Ability to coordinate multiple priorities and issues.
* Must be able to logically read and comprehend technical and/or functional manuals and instructions.
* Excellent communication and interview skills
* Excellent interpersonal and team skills
* Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred. Incumbents who do not hold degrees may qualify if they have achieved applicable certifications and/or requisite work experience in training.
* 4 years or more demonstrated experience facilitating classroom, on-line and one-on-one training. Previous experience in a healthcare or clinical setting strongly preferred.
* Experience in training in an Epic enterprise implementation environment or in Epic installation is preferred.
* Current Epic certification is preferred. Employees are expected to attain Epic certification for the relevant application or technologies essential to their position within 6 months of completing their initial training.
* Strong presentation skills.
* Strong “people skills” and effective communication and organization skills required.
Previous Informatics experience
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
* Cherwell (IT Service Management software) experience preferred.
* An ability to effectively adapt to changing curriculum required.
* May require RN or LPN state license
* This position reports to the Epic Training Manager.
* Works closely with application analysts and project teams to ensure that all issues connected to training materials and their use are addressed and to identify and analyze potential knowledge or training gaps and create solutions.
Location: Methodist Health System · HEALTH INFORMATICS
Schedule: Full-time, Day, 8am to 5pm