Thank you for your interest in employment with MHMR of Tarrant County! This
position requires provider credentialing and payer enrollment as a condition
of employment. In addition to our employment application, we recommend that
you complete a Credentialing Application packet.
Please complete only one credentialing packet. It is not necessary to complete
a separate credentialing packet for each position to which you apply.
Please complete either the licensed provider credentialing application (TSCA)
or the Non-licensed provider credentialing application as appropriate for the
position to which you have applied.
I) Job Purpose
The Registered Nurse (RN) plans, directs, coordinates and participates in the
provision of health care services for individuals in Behavioral Health sites
and in the community. This is done through use of the nursing process in
nursing assessments, planning, implementation/intervention, education,
evaluation and consultation. The RN is a member of the interdisciplinary
Outreach team, primarily focused on the SAMHSA MOTSHI grant and 80% of job
functions and operations will be performed outside of the office and in the
homeless community. Flexible hours may be required to meet the needs to the
II) Essential Functions
A. Provides nursing assessment and nursing interventions. These are based on
use of the nursing process for planning and identifying current or predicted
health care needs for individuals and families in services at the MHMR Tarrant
location served or in the community.
* The RN uses holistic care with the understanding individuals served at MHMR Tarrant have both behavioral health and physical health needs considered.
* The RN may use a comprehensive nursing assessment, a psychiatric nursing assessment or substance use disorder assessment to determine the behavioral health care needs of the individual and document in the medical record.
* The RN assesses vital signs, reviews medication management and health conditions, to determine safe care of the individual served.
* The RN provides psychiatric rehabilitation and education to the individual based on their needs.
* The RN participates in the development of treatment plans for individuals needing behavioral health services, to include the formulation of short and long term goals, evaluation, and treatment plan modification for each person.
* The RN make medication decisions for the individuals served in the program related to medication delegation, self-administration of medication or self-administration of medication with supervision.
* The RN provides oversight to unlicensed staff in medication competency to assist with self-administration of medication with supervision.
* The RN may act as nursing supervisor at the behavioral health location, assigning for care to individuals to LVNs and other staff, reviewing notes and assessments and nursing care of the individuals at the site.
B. Provides nursing care to each individual assigned or seen at the program
and assures that necessary documentation regarding contact is contained in the
clinical record by the end of the shift or day.
* The RN documents all contacts related to individuals served in the program. These contacts may be by phone or face-to-face. These contacts may be related to care coordination inside the program or with outside providers, such as a pharmacy or physician or hospital.
* The RN completes a nursing progress note for each contact which is done with the individual. All nursing progress notes conform to MHMR Tarrant standards as well as Medicaid standards.
* The RN acts according to the Nurse Practice Act for all written and verbal medical orders. This includes all verbal orders received from the prescribers are documented as soon as they are received.
C. Provide nursing interventions to individuals in MHMR Tarrant Services.
* Promote understanding and self-management of health issues.
* Medication Reconciliation and management
* Give and record injections according to medical orders and agency guidelines after each occurrence.
* Checks and records blood pressure of all identified hypertensive individuals and Clozaril patients at each appointment, and according to MHMR Tarrant Vital Signs parameters.
* The RN performs and records an AIMS Examination Procedure on each individual exhibiting symptom suggestive of first time Tardive Dyskinesia.
* Shows evidence of health and/or medication teaching related to the Treatment Plan in the notes. Evaluates needs/outcomes of those receiving the instruction and documents each occurrence.
* Assumes accountability when using independent clinical judgement and established protocols. Exercises the option of team consensus gathering when faced with decisions that involve other disciplines or complex clinical issues.
D. Works jointly with the prescribers to assure protocols are being followed
100% of the time.
* Assist the prescriber to ensure compliance with lab studies, EKGs and the procedures regarding the standard of practice for lab and EKG reviews.
* Provides care coordination to ensure continuity of care relating to behavioral health and physical health conditions. This includes follow ups after emergency department visits and hospitalizations, as well as follow ups with primary care providers.
* Always promote collegiality among health care team members, through collaborative communication.
* Maintain medications for the behavioral health site. Ensure medication inventory for all medications on site is completed and documented according to protocol.
E. Works with other Health Care providers to ensure adequate medical care for
* The RN collaborates with other health care providers and members of the organization to solve clinical care problems each time they occur.
* The RN maintains necessary supplies for implementation of agency policies and procedures on infection control, according to the Infection Control Manual.
* The RN maintains medical supplies at site for medications and procedures.
* The RN carries out measures to prevent exposure to and transmission of pathogens in accordance with agency standards on infection control.
* The RN participates in identification and monitoring of measurable quality care outcomes.
F. Assists in provision of optimum physical and psychological environment for
all individuals at the program site.
* The RN responds promptly in medical and program emergency situations by carrying out appropriate interventions per unit protocol, as evidenced by successful completion of procedure, reporting of incidents to clinical supervisors and required administrative staff and completion of documentation.
* The RN, in collaboration with other program site team members, anticipates and interprets an individual’s behavior to prevent crisis situations based on individual needs to assure the safety of the program site.
* The RN assists other program site team members in maintenance of a safe, secure, and orderly program unit environment.
G. Meetings, Committees & other information.
* Participates on organizational-wide and nursing committees while balancing responsibilities at this service site as schedule permits.
* Communicates with clinical supervisor regarding complex clinical or ethical issues, each time they arise.
* Actively promotes wellness oriented lifestyle behaviors for those individuals served as evidenced by nursing progress notes.
* Carries out measures to prevent exposure to and transmission of pathogens in accordance with agency standards on infection control at all times.
* Participates in identification and monitoring of measurable quality care for those individuals served at this location.
H. Maintains a professional and ethical code of behavior.
* The RN always maintains confidentiality of all individuals served, agency or prescriber related information within and outside the program setting.
* The RN contributes to the learning experience of new employees, students and other agency personnel.
* The RN maintains neat and professional appearance. RN will wear agency approved scrubs and badge at all times while on the clock.
* The RN addresses individuals served in the community and at the site, visitors and co-workers in a pleasant and respectful manner.
I. Shows evidence of continuing professional growth.
* Nurse will complete all MHMR Tarrant agency training requirements within first 60 days of employment and will complete all annual training updates as required.
* In-services or continuing nursing education programs will be attended which benefit nurse’s knowledge and client care. These must be approved by the supervisor. Will provide a copy of the attendance roster for verification.
* Nurse will maintain continuing nursing education units to comply with standards set by the Texas Board of Nursing, as evidenced by and proof of attendance.
* Evidence of all outside training as well as any upgrades in credentials will be forwarded to the Training Department and/or the employees Personnel File/Human Resources.
* Scheduled nursing meetings will be attended to facilitate networking, professional growth and information dissemination, as scheduled.
J. Performance standards are performed as applicable with MHMR’s We CARE
values “We C onnect People in Our Community. We Provide A ccess to
Services. We Link People to R esources. We E mpower People.
K. Perform other job duties or responsibilities as requested or assigned.
III) Knowledge of Laws, Regulations, Policies/Procedures, Skills, and
* MHMR Tarrant Policies and Procedures
* Texas Nurse Practice Act including RN scope of practice standards
* Texas Health and Human Services Mental Health Rules and Statutes
* Medicaid Standards
* The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)
* International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th Edition (ICD-10)
* ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses
* Ability to work cooperatively with multidisciplinary staff.
* Familiarity with chronic mental health, integrated health and chronic disease populations and optimal care trends.
* Knowledge of medications, their use and typical side effects.
* Ability to distinguish between medical and nursing interventions.
* Ability to advocate for the patient.
* Familiarity with trends in substance use disorder treatment.
IV) Internal & External Customer Service
All participating pharmacies, Health Care Providers in the Community, Trinity
Springs Pavilion, John Peter Smith Hospital, various private hospitals in the
community, and public health clinics.
* Travel within the community to meet the needs of the individual may be required.
* This position may require temporary or permanent re-assignment to any MHMR if Tarrant facility of program as determined by the program needs or the Division Chief, Director or Nursing Director.
RN Program Graduation – Associates Degree or Bachelor Degree in Nursing
Associates Degree or Bachelor Degree in Nursing
One-year experience preferred in Behavioral health: psychiatric/mental health
nursing or substance use disorder nursing.
Valid Texas Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record
Current RN License, CPR
Pre-employment tests including drug and TB Screening, Physical Exam including
balance and lift test.
Up to 15 lbs
As a Market Driven employee, you are eligible to participate in MHMR’s
employee health benefits program per company policy on your date of hire. Your
eligibility for benefits, including the 401(a) (including employer match) and
tuition reimbursement will take place per company policy.
* MHMR of Tarrant County (“MHMR”) and its affiliates and subsidiaries have an internal recruiting department. MHMR may supplement that internal capability from time to time with assistance from temporary staffing agencies, placement services, and professional recruiters herein after referred to collectively as “Recruiters”). Recruiters are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact MHMR employees directly in an attempt to present candidates – MHMR recruiting team or other authorized MHMR personnel must present ALL candidates to hiring managers. For more information please visit our website