I) Job Purpose
The Registered Nurse Crisis plans, directs, coordinates and participates in
the provision of health care services for individuals in Behavioral Health
sites and in the community. This is done through use of the nursing process in
nursing assessments, planning, implementation/intervention, education,
evaluation and consultation. The RN is a member of the interdisciplinary
II) Essential Functions
* The RN Crisis is capable of completing nursing assessments and nursing interventions as needed for all programs within the Crisis Services Department to best gauge the behavioral and physical health needs of the patient.
* The RN Crisis exercises the ability to provide succinct communication with team members and informs colleagues of all pertinent patient updates.
* The RN Crisis can make medication decisions for the patients served in the program and provide oversight/guidance for unlicensed staff in medication competency and related tasks.
* The RN Crisis can complete all clinical documentation regarding interactions with patients in the electronic health record within the applicable time constraints.
* The RN Crisis provides leadership to clinical colleagues and serves as a subject matter expert for medical concerns at any program within the Crisis Services Department.
* The RN Crisis coordinates responsibilities with the MA/LVN if available to better facilitate the division of program responsibilities and allow for RN to concentrate on working to the top of their licensure whenever possible.
* The RN Crisis demonstrates exemplary ability to serve as a liaison between the clinical team and the patient by providing excellent customer service, bedside manner, and overall education/explanation/implementation of each aspect of services
* Maintain the ability to assess and determine which services best meet ongoing needs of the patient and help track the progress toward recovery goals.
* The RN Crisis operates in accordance with all applicable procedures and guidelines including the Nurse Practice Act for all written and verbal medical orders.
* Available and capable of serving at any program within the Crisis Services Department.
* Performance standards are performed as applicable with MHMR’s We CARE values “We Connect People in Our Community. We Provide Access to Services. We Link People to Resources. We Empower People.”
* Perform other job duties or responsibilities as requested or assigned.
III) Knowledge of Laws, Regulations, Policies/Procedures, Skills, and
* Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
* Working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures
* High level of advocacy/arbitration/negotiation/conflict resolution skills.
* Ability to think clearly under pressure and to perform effectively in high stress situations.
* Knowledge of and compliance with established policies, procedures, risk management protocols, and other safety guidelines.
* Exercises professional manner and appearance.
* Relevant computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
* Ability to maintain clear and concise documentation.
* Ability to recognize and respect cultural diversity of patients
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and health care team
* Ability to work independently without or with limited supervision.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and holidays.
* Attend all necessary meetings at designated time intervals.
* Ability to stand for long periods of time and maintain emotional/physical health sufficient to meet the demands of the position.
* Ability to read and interpret clinical documentation, policies, and procedures.
* Attend and maintain all agency required trainings and refresher courses.
* Strength enough to: lift some patients, move heavy equipment on wheels (up to approximately 250 lbs), and to move patients in wheelchairs and stretchers.
* Knowledge and adherence to:
* Texas Nurse Practice Act including RN scope of practice standards
* Texas Health and Human Services Mental Health Rules and Statutes
* Medicaid Standards
* DSM V
* ICD 10
* ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses
* MHMR Tarrant Policies and Procedures
IV) Internal & External Customer Service
This position requires extensive internal and external contacts with persons
served, family members, significant others, internal staff, external staff,
service providers and practitioners, and community partners. The employee
accomplishes communication with exceptional written and verbal skills by
answering phone calls and emails in a timely fashion as defined by program
needs as well as conducting themselves professionally in all interactions.
* The company vehicle should be used when available for the transporting of patients.
* You may be expected to use your personal vehicle up to 70% of the time.
* Staff member is responsible for maintaining accurate records and submitting them on time to receive compensation allowed per division policy.
* Staff member is responsible to pay in full any traffic tickets and fines for traffic violations while working. In the case that the ticket/fines are sent to the agency in lieu of the employee, the amounts will then be deducted from the employee’s paycheck.
* In the case that a personal vehicle needs to be utilized, permission needs to be received from the employee’s direct supervisor at each occurrence especially if transporting a patient in the personal vehicle. Furthermore, the employee must demonstrate that they have extended insurance coverage/ride-share insurance paid for at the employee’s expense.
RN Program Graduation-Associates Degree or Bachelor Degree in Nursing
Bilingual; Minimum one (1) year of experience in Behavioral Health:
psychiatric/mental health nursing or substance use disorder nursing
Valid Texas Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record
Current RN licensure
Pre-employment tests including drug and TB Screening, Physical Exam including
balance and lift test.
Satori Alternatives to Managing Aggression (SAMA) All 3
45 to 775 Pounds
As a Market Driven employee, you are eligible to participate in MHMR’s
employee health benefits program per company policy on your date of hire. Your
eligibility for benefits, including the 401(a) (including employer match) and
tuition reimbursement will take place per company policy.
* MHMR of Tarrant County (“MHMR”) and its affiliates and subsidiaries have an internal recruiting department. MHMR may supplement that internal capability from time to time with assistance from temporary staffing agencies, placement services, and professional recruiters herein after referred to collectively as “Recruiters”). Recruiters are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact MHMR employees directly in an attempt to present candidates – MHMR recruiting team or other authorized MHMR personnel must present ALL candidates to hiring managers. For more information please visit our website