The Lead Nurse Manager is responsible for comprehensive operational
responsibility for the delivery and quality of patient care provided in the
designated region fostering interdepartmental/inter-professional
collaboration. Assists with developing and implementing performance
initiatives, ensuring optimal patient safety, outcomes and customer
satisfaction. This position demonstrates leadership qualities and critical
thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills
and oral/written communications skills. The manager position responsibilities
include managing the daily work activities of the work department staff,
ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while
assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In
addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for
staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring
and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related
performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies
and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position
also implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that secure
compliance with ethical and legal business practices and
accreditation/regulatory/ government regulations.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling,
supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in the department.
2. Provides development and mentoring of staff to ensure proper documentation
in the urgent care observation unit.
3. Provides fair and consistent leadership and communication to maintain a
competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings
to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all
employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire onboarding,
coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to
achieve desired outcomes.
4. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific
knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
5. Facilitates and promotes effective team dynamics and team-building
strategies within and between departments; participates and/or leads and
facilitates department process improvements as needed.
6. Establishes effective, two way communication with staff, demonstrating
active listening, requesting and acknowledging feedback, making equitable
decisions, providing rationale when appropriate, and supporting organizational
goals. Coaches staff to use efficient and effective communication to establish
and maintain a team environment.
7. Plans and organizes day-to-day department operations, schedule and
activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to
staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high
customer/patient satisfaction through role modeling and fostering
8. Serves as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service
orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care
and/or services, effectively resolve concerns, complaints or conflict with
patients, families, physicians and other inter-professional health care team
members, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to
9. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises
the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory
required safety guidelines, including infection control principles.
10. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by
monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer
accountability, reporting near misses and/or adverse events immediately and
identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving
process improvements. Role models situational awareness, using teachable
moments to improve safety.
11. Monitors self and employee compliance with policies, procedures, and
Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance
(i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza
immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission,
timely timecard approval, etc.).
12. Prepares measurable goals and objectives that are consistent with
priorities, and develops action plans for achieving goals, incorporating
collaborative efforts when appropriate.
13. Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the
department operates in a cost effective manner by managing new and routine
clinical supply orders, vaccines and other expenses.
14. Develops staffing plans with RN per diem pool in the Urgent Cares and
schedules to meet department/patient care needs that reflect understanding of
the importance of cost-effectiveness.
15. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow
changes to improve operations or other department-specific measures by leading
projects and/or other department/system directed shared governance activities.
16. Supports company change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when
experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts
effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or
17. Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s)
for change; follows through to ensure effective, sustainable change.
Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the
review and revision of existing procedures.
18. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic
relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, and
units to achieve business goals.
19. Participate in employee health initiatives by researching evidence based
data to write the health column in the employee newsletter, and conducting
various campaigns such as the “Flu Shot Campaign.”
20. Ensures that clinical equipment is functional.
21. Plan patient health fairs and campaigns to promote health and preventive
22. Perform related duties, when assigned
This position manages all employees (RN, LPN, MA) of the department and is
responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be
met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to
work standing up, walk, use hands to operate tools and equipment and must be
able to exert regularly up to 10 pounds of force, frequently exert 30 pounds
of force and occasionally exert 50 pounds of force to constantly perform the
essential job functions. The employee will be frequently required to reach
with hands and arms, bend, balance, kneel, crouch, crawl, push, and pull.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The
employee is subject to environmental conditions; protection from weather
conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. The worker is subject
to noise; there may be sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order
to be heard above ambient noise level.
Required Education and Experience
1. Bachelors from an accredited school of nursing.
2. Current registration and licensure with the Board of Nurse Examiners for
the state or a Compact state.
3. Minimum 4 years of management experience.
4. Current BLS for the Healthcare Provider, ACLS, PALS, CEN. Must have a
current card from an American Heart Association (AHA) recognized course.
5. Any combination of education, training, and experience which demonstrates
the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described including
related work experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
1. Masters Degree from an accredited school of nursing.
2. 2 years experience managing an urgent care setting.
3. Bilingual in English and Spanish(preferred)
Job Type: Full-time
* Urgent Care Management: 2 years (Preferred)
* Management: 4 years (Preferred)
* RN (Preferred)
* BLS, ACLS, PALS (Preferred)
* Health insurance
* Dental insurance
* Vision insurance
* Retirement plan
* Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
* Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
* Aggressive — competitive and growth-oriented
* Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
* Monday to Friday
* Weekends required