Shasta Cascade Heath Centers is looking to hire an experienced Certified
Medical Assistant to work in its clinics. Shasta Cascade Health Centers is a
Federally Qualified Health Center with the mission of being a comprehensive
primary healthcare organization dedicated to building healthy communities and
improving the individual health, well-being, and quality of life for everyone.
Job Title: Certified Medical Assistant
Department: Medical Clinic
Work Division/Location: McCloud/Dunsmuir/Mt. Shasta
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Reports To: Center Operations Manager
Summary/Objective: An employee working as a Medical Assistant with Shasta
Cascade Health Centers provides care to assigned patients under the
supervision of a licensed professional.
* Participates in planning for care and instruction of patients.
* Teaches and counsels patients on a variety of health-related subjects, including family planning, STDs, AIDS and HIV infection, immunizations, and nutrition; plans and presents educational materials.
* Screens patients for risk factors.
* Recommends treatment for common ailments, using standard protocol manuals and with registered nurse or physician review.
* Reports patients’ needs to the appropriate medical and nursing staff.
* Assists medical professionals in procedures as instructed.
* Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure.
* Applies and changes dressings using aseptic techniques. Removes sutures.
* Collects or assists in the collection of specimens and other clinical material for testing, following appropriate instruction by Clinic protocol and procedures and state certification.
* Runs tests on blood and urine specimens in accordance with CLIA regulations.
* Performs duties associated with well care of children, including vision and hearing tests.
* Administers prescribed non-invasive treatments and medications.
* Inform patients of effects of medications; instructs patients to maintain treatment at home.
* Maintains professional relationship with patients.
* Reassures and calms agitated patients in an informative and sensitive manner.
* Triage patients to determine nature and urgency of request.
* Records and maintains pertinent and accurate patient information in medical records.
* Helps prepare reports.
* Inventories and orders medications.
* Helps develop work plans and schedules for special clinics and services.
* Performs related duties as assigned.
All Clinic employees are expected to:
* Work as a team player to accomplish the goals of the Clinic.
* Maintain operations by following the Clinic’s policies and procedures, following established safety practices and reporting perceived need/s for changes.
* Provide the highest level of service to clients.
* Maintain confidentiality by following all applicable HIPAA regulations.
* Respect Clinic equipment used to perform job tasks.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional medical clinic environment with potential
exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. This role
routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones,
photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
No travel is expected for regular job duties. Travel may occasionally be
required for training purposes. If personal vehicle is used for specified job-
related errands or travel to/from training events, mileage will be reimbursed
as specified in the Employee Handbook.
Education, Experience, Certifications, Licenses and Registrations:
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* Possession of a California Certified Clinical Medical Assistant Credential or the ability to receive certification within one (1) year of employment.
* Two years’ experience working in a related position preferred.
* Bilingual fluency is a plus (English/Spanish)
* Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, or ability to become certified.
Skills and Competencies:
Verbal and written communication proficiency, ethical conduct, flexibility,
initiative, ability to multi-task, time management, highly organized, detail
orientated. Customer services skills, sensitivity to client needs, remains
calm in emergency situations, upholds strict confidentially requirements.
Familiarity with computer processes, including word processing and spreadsheet
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must
be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. While performing job duties, the employee is regularly required to talk
and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands
and arms, and use hands and fingers.
* Ability to communicate effectively in person, by phone and by email.
* Ability to visually interpret printed materials, memos, and other needed paperwork.
* Ability to maneuver immobile patients and to lift and carry children weighing up to 40 pounds.
* Ability to lift or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
* Have sufficient stamina to stand and walk for full work shifts.
Shasta Cascade Health Centers is committed to providing equal employment
opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic
information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $15.00 – $18.00 per hour
* 401(k) Matching
* Dental Insurance
* Employee Discount
* Health Insurance
* Paid Time Off
* Vision Insurance
* Monday to Friday
* medical assisting: 2 years (Preferred)
* High school or equivalent (Preferred)
* Multiple locations
* Only full-time employees eligible