Below are the primary license renewal and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in Oregon. Please visit the Oregon State Board of Nursing CE page for more information on continuing education requirements.
- One-time requirement to complete 7 hours of Pain Management CE in order to renew a license
- The Oregon Pain Management Commission requires that 1 of these hours be fulfilled with their Pain Management module
Also, for renewal of licensure, the applicant must submit a fully completed application established by the Board and attest to one of the following:
(1)(a) 400 hours of nursing practice, at the level of the license sought, within the two years immediately preceding renewal application. Applicants initially licensed prior to January 1, 2021, must attest to having 400 hours of practice in the previous two years by their second renewal cycle after implementation of these rules. Prior to this second renewal, the applicant may use the previously required competency hours of 960 in 5 years; or
(b) Graduation from a Board-approved Oregon, or out of state school of nursing, or international nursing program within the two years immediately preceding renewal
(c) Completing a re-entry program
An APRN may renew their license to practice if:
(1) The APRN has also renewed their license as a registered nurse. Hours practiced as an APRN count towards RN license renewal, however, practice hours at the RN level do not count for APRN renewal. RN and APRN license renewals may be done simultaneously
(2) The APRN has one of the following qualifications:
(a) Has practiced 400 hours at the APRN level in the two years preceding the receipt of a completed renewal application. APRNs initially licensed prior to January 1, 2021, must attest to having 400 hours of practice in the previous two years by their second renewal cycle after implementation of these rules. Prior to this second renewal, the applicant may use the previously required competency hours of 960 in five years; or
(b) Is within two years of graduation of initial APRN education program, or
(c) Is within two years of completion of a Board-approved re-entry program, or
(d) Is within two years of completion a post-master’s certificate in the specialty being renewed; or
(e) Has maintained active national certification
Steps to renew your Oregon nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page to confirm your license.
- Complete your Oregon nursing continuing education requirements before your license expires
You can complete your nursing CEUs online, on your schedule, and 100% free with Incredible Health.
- Go to the Oregon Board of Nursing to enter your renewal application
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in Oregon ]
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.