Below are the primary license renewal and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in Arizona. Check with the Arizona Board of Nursing for renewal info and changes to CE requirements.
RN/LPN: No CEUs but there are renewal requirements:
- Practiced as a nurse for 960 hours or more in the past 5 years OR
- Graduated from a nursing program and obtained a degree within past 5 years OR
- Completed an Arizona Board approved refresher course in the past 5 years OR
- Obtained an advanced nursing degree in the past 5 years (i.e. LPN to RN, RN to BSN, masters, or doctorate).
APRN: No CEUs but there are renewal requirements:
APRNs are required to submit a separate application from their RN application to renew their APRN certificate. If you have an Arizona RN license, you must renew the RN first, then a link will appear to renew your Arizona APRN certificate.
APRN Renewal applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Practiced as an advanced practice registered nurse for 960 hours or more in the past 5 years
- Hold an active Arizona RN OR current RN license with multistate privileges in another compact state.
- Hold active national certification. (Your certification will expire when your RN license expires)
- APRNs who hold an active DEA license, MUST have completed a minimum of three hours of opioid-related, substance use disorder-related or addiction-related continuing education
Additionally, Arizona is a nursing compact state, which allows nurses to hold multi-state licenses.
Steps to renew your Arizona nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page to confirm your license. RN/LPN Renewal of licensure is when you hold an Arizona license and apply to renew the license every 4 years.
- Arizona is a nursing compact state
If your Primary State of Residency is in another compact state, do not apply for licensure in Arizona unless you are declaring Arizona as your Primary State of Residency.
- Go to the Arizona Board of Nursing to enter your renewal application
Visit the Renewal Information page for specifics.
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in Arizona ]
Arizona State Board of Nursing
Phone: (602) 771-7800
1740 W Adams Street, Suite 2000
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.