Below are the primary license renewal and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in Hawaii. Please visit the Hawaii Board of Nursing CE page for more information on continuing education.
RN/LPN/APRN: To renew licensure, nurses must complete one of the following learning activities:
- 30 contact hours of continuing education activities
- Authoring/co-authoring a peer-reviewed and published article, book, or book chapter on a relevant nursing or health-related topic
- Completion of a Board-approved refresher course
- Completion of a Board-recognized nurse residency program
- Completing a minimum of 2-semester credits of post-licensure academic education from an accredited nursing program related to their nursing practice area
- Completion as a principal nursing research project that is either a review board or evidence-based practice project (must be pre-approved by the Nursing Board)
- Developing/conducting five contact hours of a nursing education presentation or presentations of organized instruction that meets the continuing education qualifications
- National certification or recertification related to the area of practice
- Participating as a preceptor for at least one nursing student or employee transitioning into new clinical practice areas for at least 120 hours in a 1:1 relationship as part of an organized preceptor program. See additional requirements of this learning activity on the Board of Nursing website
Except for the pharmacotherapeutics requirement for APRNs, there are no mandates for specific nursing CEUs in Hawaii. APRNs must complete 30 contact hours, with 8 of those hours related to pharmacology.
Steps to renew your Hawaii nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page in order to confirm your license. All Licenses regardless of issuance date, are subject to renewal by June 30 of every odd-numbered year.
- Complete your Hawaii nursing continuing education requirements before your license expires
You can complete your nursing CEUs online, on your schedule, and 100% free with Incredible Health.
- Go to the Hawaii Board of Nursing to enter your renewal application
Visit the Renewal Information page for specifics.
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in Hawaii ]
Hawaii Board of Nursing
Phone: (808) 586-3000
Fax: (808) 586-2689
Email: [email protected]
Attn: Board of Nursing
PO Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801
King Kalakaua Bldg
335 Merchant Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.