Below are the primary license renewal and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in Louisiana. Please visit the Louisiana State Board of Nursing CE page for more information on continuing education requirements. There is a separate information page for LPNs that can be found at the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners.
RN: Renewal period every 2 years
At least one of the two options below must have been completed during the 2-year licensure period:
- Minimum of 30 board-approved contact hours of continuing education during the two-year licensure period; or
- A minimum of 900 practice hours during the two-year licensure period as verified by the employer on a form provided by the board.
LPN: One of the following options:
- Practiced nursing 1600 hours (or more) within the calendar year. Obtain a minimum of 5 contact hours of ANCC or State Board of Nursing accredited nursing CE annually for license renewal; or
- Practiced nursing at least 160 hours, but less than 1600 hours within the calendar year. Obtain a minimum of 10 contact hours of ANCC or State BON accredited nursing CE annually for license renewal; or
- Practiced nursing for less than 160 hours during the calendar year. Obtain a minimum of 15 contact hours of ANCC or State BON accredited nursing CE annually for license renewal. Note: Nurses with 15 or more ANCC/BON accredited nursing contact hours do not need to provide proof of nursing practice hours verified by their employer if audited.
APRN: Renewal period every 2 years
- 30 CEUs at the advanced level and directly related to the full scope of the advanced practice role and population focus for APRN; and
- 6 hours in pharmacotherapeutics for APRN with prescriptive authority
- APRNs with Controlled Substance Authority need 3 hours as a prerequisite of license renewal. This is a one-time requirement.
Incredible Health offers ANCC-accredited continuing education courses for nurses in all 50 states, 100% free and online. The Louisiana State Board of Nursing accepts courses that are ANCC accredited.
Additionally, Louisiana is a nursing compact state, which allows nurses to hold multi-state licenses.
Steps to renew your Louisiana nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page to confirm the status of your license.
- Complete your Louisiana nursing continuing education requirements before your license expires
You can complete your nursing CEUs online, on your schedule, and 100% free with Incredible Health.
- Go to the Louisiana Nurse Portal to request a license renewal
Visit the Louisiana Board of Nursing Renewal Information page for specifics. For LPNs, visit their Renewal Information page. Louisiana is a compact state. If your Primary State of Residency is in another compact state do not apply for licensure in Louisiana unless you are declaring Louisiana as your Primary State of Residency.
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in Louisiana ]
Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners (for LPNs)
Phone: (504) 838-5791
Fax: (504) 838-5279
Email: [email protected]
131 Airline Drive
Metairie, LA 70001
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.