Below are the primary license renewal and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in Montana. Please visit the Montana Board of Nursing CE page for more information on continuing education requirements.
RN: 24 contact hours every 2 years
LPN: 24 contact hours every 2 years
APRN: 24 contact hours every 2 years
Required Nursing CEU Courses in Montana
In addition to any CEUs nurses choose, the Montana Board of Nursing also requires nurses to obtain contact hours on the following topics:
- Role of the Board – 1.5 contact hours
- Delegation – 1.5 contact hour
- Filing of Complaints to the Board – 2.5 contact hours
- Nurse Licensure Compact – 1.5 contact hours
- Licensing Process – 2.0 contact hours
- Substance Abuse Disorder – 2.0 contact hours
- Scope of Practice for LPNs and RNs – 2.0 contact hours
- Ethics – 2.0 contact hours
Incredible Health offers ANCC-accredited continuing education courses for nurses in all 50 states, 100% free and online. The Montana Board of Nursing accepts courses that are ANCC accredited.
Additionally, Montana is a nursing compact state, which allows nurses to hold multi-state licenses.
Steps to renew your Montana nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page to confirm your license.
- Complete your Montana nursing continuing education requirements before your license
You can complete your nursing CEUs online, on your schedule, and 100% free with Incredible Health.
- Go to the Montana Board of Nursing to enter your renewal application
Visit the Renewal Information page for specific requirements. Montana is a compact state. If your Primary State of Residency is in another compact state do not apply for licensure in Montana unless you are declaring Montana as your Primary State of Residency.
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in Montana ]
Montana Board of Nursing
For licensing questions:
Phone: (406) 444-6880
For questions related to practice, rules, or education call the Executive Director:
Phone: (406) 841-2380
Email: [email protected]
301 S. Park Ave. 4th Floor
PO Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.