Below are the primary license information and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in South Dakota. Please visit the South Dakota Board of Nursing CE page for more information on continuing education requirements.
Licensing fees by examination (NCLEX exam for first-time nurses):
- NCLEX exam fee: $200
- Application fee: $100 (RN/LPN/CNP)
Licensing fee by endorsement (already have RN licensure):
- Application fees: $100 (RN/LPN/CNP)
- Temporary permit: $25
License renewal fees:
- Application fee: $115 (RN/LPN); $95 (CNP)
*Fees subject to change
**Most states require a background check but prices are not always listed
Steps to renew your South Dakota nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page to confirm your license.
- Go to the South Dakota Board of Nursing to enter your renewal application
Visit the Renewal Information page for specific requirements. South Dakota is a compact state. If your Primary State of Residency is in another compact state do not apply for licensure in South Dakota unless you are declaring South Dakota as your Primary State of Residency.
Continuing education requirements
South Dakota does have a minimum practice requirement:
- provide verification of employment in nursing for a minimum of 140 hours in any 12-month period during the previous 6 years, or a total accumulation of 480 hours during the previous 6 years
APRN: Maintain national certification
South Dakota is a nursing compact state, which allows nurses to hold multi-state licenses.
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in South Dakota ]
South Dakota Board of Nursing
Phone: (605) 362-2760
4305 S. Louis Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57106-3115
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.