Below are the primary license renewal and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in Virginia. Please visit the Virginia Board of Nursing CE page for more information on continuing education requirements.
Registered Nurse (RN) and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
RNs and LPNs are required to renew their licenses every two years. The nursing professionals need to complete at least one of the following:
- Thirty contact hours of workshops, seminars, conferences, or courses relevant to the practice of nursing; or
- Fifteen contact hours of workshops, seminars, conferences, or courses related to the practice of nursing and 640 hours of active practice as a nurse; or
- Current specialty certification by a national certifying organization; or
- Completion of a minimum of three credit hours of post-licensure academic education relevant to nursing practice, offered by a regionally accredited college or university; or
- A board-approved refresher course in nursing; or
- Completion of nursing-related, evidence-based practice project of a research study; or
- Completion of publication as the author or co-author during a renewal cycle; or
- Teaching or developing a nursing-related course resulting in no less than three semester hours of college credit, a 15-week course, of specialty certification; or
- Teaching or developing nurse-related continuing education courses for up to 30 contact hours.
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
A. In order to renew a license biennially, a nurse practitioner initially licensed on or after May 8, 2002, shall hold current professional certification in the area of specialty practice.
B. In order to renew a license biennially, nurse practitioners licensed prior to May 8, 2002, shall meet one of the following requirements:
1. Hold current professional certification in the area of specialty practice from one of the certifying agencies; or
2. Complete at least 40 hours of continuing education in the area of specialty practice
Incredible Health offers ANCC-accredited continuing education courses for nurses in all 50 states, 100% free and online. The Virginia Board of Nursing accepts courses that are ANCC accredited.
Additionally, Virginia is a nursing compact state, which allows nurses to hold multi-state licenses.
Steps to renew your Virginia nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page to confirm your license.
- Complete your Virginia nursing continuing education requirements before your license expires
You can complete your nursing CEUs online, on your schedule, and 100% free with Incredible Health.
- Go to the Virginia Board of Nursing to enter your renewal application
Visit the Renewal Information page for specific requirements. Virginia is a compact state. If your Primary State of Residency is in another compact state do not apply for licensure in Virginia unless you are declaring Virginia as your Primary State of Residency.
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in Virginia ]
Virginia Department of Health Professions/Virginia Board of Nursing
Phone: (804) 367-4400
Fax: (804) 527-4475
9960 Maryland Drive
Henrico, VA 23233-1463
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.