Stay in the know.

Join our free nurse community to get updates on trending questions and the topics you care about

I want to become a travel nurse. What is the easiest way to obtain a compact license if your state does not offer one?

November 6th, 2022

In order to have a compact license, you must first establish residency in a State that participates in the Nursing Compact. Each State's residency requirements vary. If you remain where you are, you will have to obtain licenses in each State you wish to work. Some travel agencies will help with the process, but they are few and far between. There is also a definite need for Nurse Advocacy and you can begin to petition your state representatives and senators to pass legislation that will allow your State to join the Compact.

November 18th, 2023

You have to be an resident of a compact state to get a compact license.

August 30th, 2022

You need to obtain an endorsement lic from each individual state you want to practice in.

August 28th, 2022

Hummmmm I am of the understanding that your home base has to be a compact state. BUT I am not up to date on if that changed with COVID. When COVID hit we could get other license pretty fast with waivers but that is starting to slow down. But heck, try getting a license in one of the compact states either close to your home state or where you really want to work. You can wor in that state then see if you can use it to work in other states as well. My home state is compact and I have gotten 5 additional license for non-license states just to do an assignment there.