Senior Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer of Mercy, Betty Jo Rocchio, DNP, shared her perspective on the future of nursing amid the ongoing staffing crisis.
Mercy is a 30 hospital, $5 billion operating revenue system headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, with over 40,000 employees, 10,000 nurses, and 900 facilities across the system.
Mercy has earned many accolades, including being named a top employer by Forbes magazine, and one of the top five large U.S. health systems by IBM Watson Health.
Rocchio shared tactics to adapt to the national nurse staffing shortage, including:
- Work to make nurses’ jobs easier
- Build a positive work environment
- Rethink nurse compensation and scheduling
- Recruit permanent nurses and advance nurses’ careers, and
- How Incredible Health can help with permanent nurse hiring