On February 17th, 2021, Iman Abuzeid, M.D., Co-Founder & CEO of Incredible Health, Javon Bea, CEO of MercyHealth, Debra Potempa, System Chief Nursing Officer of MercyHealth, and Linda Roan, Chief Nursing Officer of Banner Health, discussed how hospitals can use data and automation to enhance their strategic workforce planning, hiring, nurse retention, and patient outcomes.
- COVID-19 has exacerbated the existing nurse shortage, and has made nurse retention even more difficult
- Speed matters when hiring nurses. 68% of nurses accept their first offer, and 61% of nurses accept their first offer even if subsequent offers have hire pay.
- Ensure both nurses and recruiters are operating at the top of their skill sets: ensure nurses are working at the top of their license, and automate low skill recruiting work like sourcing
- Seek out feedback from nurses, including those that are staying, for example with structured interviews, and address their concerns wherever possible
- Prioritize nurse career development & facilitate internal role transfers
- Give nurses flexibility in their schedules with more part time shifts to help with burnout challenges
Industry leading panelists
Javon Bea has served as President and CEO of Mercyhealth for over 30 years, furthering its mission to make lives better for patients and their families. Under his leadership, Mercyhealth has grown into a vertically integrated, multi-regional system with 7 hospitals, 800+ employed physician partners and 8,000+ employee/partners, 85 primary and specialty care locations, a home health and hospice division, and a wholly owned and operated insurance company.
Known for world class workforce planning, Debra Potempa has served as Chief Nursing Officer for Mercyhealth for over 11 years. Under her leadership, MercyHealth earned the Magnet designation in recognition of its high-quality patient care and outcomes. Debra’s industry-leading nurse hiring and retention strongly contributed to MercyHealth earning its designation. Debra is an alumna of De Paul University and Saint Xavier University, where she was a member of Sigma Theta Tau, the honor society for nursing excellence.
Linda Roan is the Chief Nursing Officer of East Morgan County Hospital, part of Banner Health. Linda has been a Colorado RN for over 44 years. Linda has served on the Colorado State Board of Nursing, the Colorado Organization of Nurse Leaders, the Colorado Center for Nursing Excellence, the WELLS Center Advisory Board and the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. As a member of the Colorado Organization of Nurse Leaders she served as the Board President from 2014 – 2016.
Iman Abuzeid M.D. is the Co-founder and CEO of Incredible Health, a career marketplace whose custom matching technology offers hospitals the fastest, most effective way to hire qualified permanent nurses in less than 20 days. It’s used by hundreds of leading hospitals across the country, including Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Stanford Health Care, Baylor Scott & White, Kaiser Permanente, and many more.
Incredible Health can help
If you’re looking to improve permanent nurse hiring and retention, Incredible Health can help you hire faster and staff teams appropriately to reduce burnout.
Incredible Health supports over 300 hospitals and health systems across the country, and saves each hospital at least $2 million per year per facility in HR costs, overtime, and travel nurse costs. Hiring is accelerated to 20 days or less, compared to the industry average of 80+ days.