Below are the primary license renewal and continuing education requirements for nurses licensed in New York. Please visit the New York Board of Nursing CE page for more information on continuing education requirements.
- Complete 3 contact hours in Infection Control at initial licensure and every four years thereafter
- One-time requirement of 2 hours in Child Abuse Identification and Reporting
- APRNs must maintain national certification
LPN: Complete 3 contact hours in Infection Control at initial licensure and every 4 years thereafter
Those authorized to prescribe controlled substances are required to complete at least 3 hours of training in pain management, palliative care, and addiction, every 3 years.
Steps to renew your New York nursing license
- Verify the status of your license
Visit the Verification page in order to confirm your license.
- Complete your New York nursing continuing education requirements before your license expires
You can complete your nursing CEUs online, on your schedule, and 100% free with Incredible Health.
- Go to the New York Board of Nursing site to enter your renewal application
Visit the Renewal Information page for specifics.
[ MORE: Average nurse salary in New York ]
New York State Education Department Office of the Professions
State Board of Nursing
Phone: (518) 474-3817, Press 1 then ext. 120
Fax: (518) 474-3706
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234-1000
Earn your CEUs free
Our easy online CE courses are ANCC-accredited and 100% free for nurses.